Volkswagen Golf GTE Forum

It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16,000 Mile Report
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:30 pm 

So I've had mine since mid June and it's now just past 16k miles so well run in and time to reflect:
The not so good:
1) MPG - A very disappointing 41mpg. Of course this would be higher if I charged the battery more frequently but surely the car should be inherently more efficient with it's recharge under braking. Why not be a similar figure to the Lexus IS300h that I tested over a few days at about 48mpg without trying too hard. Range of 360-370 is too low for me and wish they'd squeezed another 10 litres in the tank.
2) SatNav Pro - A lovely touchscreen but really not worth the very high cost (£1750). Satnav isn't as good as the Tomtom Live. Voice recogniton is frustrating to use due to basic mistakes. Handsfree quality through the speaker is very muffled.
3) Sound system - Poor sound from the speakers and wish I'd upgraded.....
4) Settings - Should enable user customisation of startup hybrid drive mode, etc, etc. Could so easily be so much better with just a software update.
5) Value for Money - As a company car with 5% BIK it makes lots of sense for the low tax. As a private purchase this car is very expensive for what you get. Resale values may not be favourable due to battery life.
6) Performance - In GTE mode it can move quite briskly but you have to thrash it and the 1.4 petrol engine is very buzzy. Not a satisfying engine to use hard. In gentler driving it's generally very smooth and quiet. Suited to City not M/Way.
And then the good:
7) Comfort - Good driving position, contols, layout and quality feel in the cabin
8) Handling - Superb and the steering is pin sharp.
9) Rarity - I like being in a different "GT" to the norm.
10) ACC - Cruise control and auto handbrake are superb. I use it in stop start traffic and it makes light work of busy commutes in the M25 area.
11) LED Headlights - Brilliant!
Conclusion:
This car suits someone with a 15-20 mile commute and regular charging opportunities. I should have gone for the GTD.

Post subject: Re: 16,000 Mile Report
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:32 am 

I agree with a lot of what you say Kirky, my GTE is now 7 months old with 12,000 miles covered, I am not sure I agree with your comment that the GTE is more suited to a 15 - 20 mile commute, I use my car on all sorts of journey's and find it copes well on the motorway at motorway speeds....

BUT, I must admit I almost always drive my GTE in GTE mode, I see no benefit of using hybrid, battery hold or electric (although I do use electric when in the city) living with the Golf is not a chore, it is a great car and it does a lot of things well, the only downside I can state is that VW over sold it, 166 mpg indeed!

That said, if they had published the true figures everyone would have bought a GTD as it has better mpg.

I have just over 2 years to go with mine and I doubt I would have another hybrid, the R looks like the way forward from where I am now.