Volkswagen Golf GTE Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: GTE Ordered
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:30 pm 

Your link isn't working for me.

From your post it sounds like you're not planning to regularly charge it over night? I think you might find you miss out on a lot of the economy benefit if so - although it probably won't make a lot of difference to the way the car drives in hybrid auto or GTE modes. You just won't have much range in ev mode unless you charge from the engine, which will hit economy further. I'm not 100% certain about any of the above, but based upon a couple of hours with the car.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:02 am 

Oli wrote:
Your link isn't working for me.

From your post it sounds like you're not planning to regularly charge it over night? I think you might find you miss out on a lot of the economy benefit if so - although it probably won't make a lot of difference to the way the car drives in hybrid auto or GTE modes. You just won't have much range in ev mode unless you charge from the engine, which will hit economy further. I'm not 100% certain about any of the above, but based upon a couple of hours with the car.

Link sorted.

Oli I think you may be right. I had no intention of charging at home but to get the most out of the car, it may need to take a charge somewhere. If we get a charge point put in at work, that would be ideal. It is a real brain challenge to get the car on and off charge with plenty of referral to the manual. Being such a complex car, it's a shame that VW didn't issue a dedicated manual for the GTE.

Right now I'm only seeing 42mpg and have been driving pretty gently. The engine will be tight so am sure that it will perform much better in the future. I find the battery charge runs down pretty fast in normal driving (again the battery needs a few cycles) so I'm using GTE a fair bit to keep some charge in the bank and get the engine run in faster. I have a little issue in the car seeming to not have the DCC that I had as an option (£815) as confirmed on all the paperwork. Not sure how the dealer/lease company are going to be able to rectify/compensate me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:31 pm 

I think there should be a button next to the gear stick for DCC if you have it.

Although it's a bit of a faff, you'll probably find that "hybrid auto" will improve your economy and eek out the electric better than switching between ev and GTE. GTE uses the battery quite a lot from what I could tell. It's a pity you can only select hybrid auto from the menu.

Looks nice by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:02 pm 

Oli,

There is no MODE button and no selection option for Comfort, Normal, Sport on the menu options. There is an E Mode button but only for going to electric drive.

I really think VW have missed a trick (or maybe I have yet to find the way) for selecting the Hybrid Auto mode. It's not ideal to have to go into the menu to make the change, while driving. The GTE button deselects to Battery Hold as does the E mode. So why not make the E mode deselect to Hybrid Auto. Also, why not retain the mode that was in use upon start up?

Spent the day driving in central London today and the car was fantastic and absolutely in it's element in the cut and thrust traffic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:25 pm 

Hi chaps

I am a new member here with a few questions :) My company car is changed next March and I usually order my new one around October dependant on the lead time, I have always had Golfs with my last one being a GTD as we have to have diesels now although I can't stand diesel cars, my current car is an Audi A3 2.0 diesel which is very nice but my local Audi dealer is useless and I want a VW again! Now I have been made aware of the GTE and a work colleague who is getting his any day now said that it would save us around £100 per MONTH in income tax! Is that true as if it is I would get the GTE for sure so long as the £5000 grant is still in place when I order mine.

I always get a three door Golf as to me they look so much better so I will have to put up with the five door :) there are pros and cons as I wouldn't be able to spec the sat nav on it as it would go above budget and I believe it around £1700! a real plus is the DSG gearbox as I am a sales rep and an auto would be so nice to have.

Going into my local dealer and asking questions it is very clear that these sales people just don't know enough about this car which really surprises me, anyway the main question I need to ask is can I use it in GTE mode all day everyday? I am unsure whether it depends on what charge is in the battery or in GTE mode do the petrol and electric just work together to produce the GTE performance, I want to be able to use the GTE mode most of the time so I am hoping you guys will know, of course I know the economy will suffer but it will get me back into a petrol engine and not a noisy diesel :) oh and I do love the look of the car especially with the blue accents and those fab blue callipers, I could get the GTD golf which is a great car but I would rather avoid a diesel so any help/advice would be much appreciated I could also get the Scirocco R Line 150bhp diesel which looks great but the GTE is the one I would like and if it can save me £100 per month then what's not to like.

Thanks for reading :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:38 am 

Yes, if you've got a GTD currently then £100 per month saving sounds about right. And yes, I'm pretty sure you can leave it in GTE mode all the time, but apart from the hit to the economy it's actually nicer in ev mode around town in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:54 am 

Oli wrote:
Yes, if you've got a GTD currently then £100 per month saving sounds about right. And yes, I'm pretty sure you can leave it in GTE mode all the time, but apart from the hit to the economy it's actually nicer in ev mode around town in my opinion.

Thanks for that my previous car was a GTD I currently have an A3 2.0 diesel so pretty similar to a GTD but it was the £100 a month that really got me interested as let's face it the car looks great and hopefully goes as well with a bit of oomph when required, it is a shame it has five doors but I can put up with that and to know it can be used in GTE mode all the time is great news but what is EV mode? I won't just be driving it quickly all of the time but I wanted to know that I wouldn't be stuck with a 1.4 petrol engine pulling a much heavier golf so it is all sounding exciting so far :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:58 pm 

Andy,

It's very early days for me and I'm using GTE and Hybrid auto a lot as I am doing longer runs so have to preserve the battery. Even in GTE, at low load and light throttle, especially at lower speed, it will go in and out of electric mode.

To get the most from this car, you are going to need to charge it. Also keep in mind that the range is not great; I filled up after just 375 miles today.

If I was you, I would test drive the GTD as a comparison and work out the tax numbers. There are lots of online sites that can give you the tax figures such as:

P11D - GTE (with NAV)

Year Percentage Personal tax bracket (£Tax liability)
20% 40% 50%
2014/2015 5.00% £354.65 £709.30 £886.63
2015/2016 5.00% £354.65 £709.30 £886.63
P11D: £35,465.00
CO2: 39g/km

P11D - GTD 3 Door

20% 40% 50%
2014/2015 17.00% £913.92 £1,827.84 £2,284.80
2015/2016 19.00% £1,021.44 £2,042.88 £2,553.60
P11D: £26,880.00
CO2: 109g/km

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm 

kirky wrote:
Andy,

It's very early days for me and I'm using GTE and Hybrid auto a lot as I am doing longer runs so have to preserve the battery. Even in GTE, at low load and light throttle, especially at lower speed, it will go in and out of electric mode.

To get the most from this car, you are going to need to charge it. Also keep in mind that the range is not great; I filled up after just 375 miles today.

If I was you, I would test drive the GTD as a comparison and work out the tax numbers. There are lots of online sites that can give you the tax figures such as:

P11D - GTE (with NAV)

20% 40% 50%
2014/2015 5.00% £354.65 £709.30 £886.63
2015/2016 5.00% £354.65 £709.30 £886.63
P11D: £35,465.00
CO2: 39g/km

P11D - GTD 3 Door

20% 40% 50%
2014/2015 17.00% £913.92 £1,827.84 £2,284.80
2015/2016 19.00% £1,021.44 £2,042.88 £2,553.60
P11D: £26,880.00
CO2: 109g/km

Thanks for that but if you had to fill up after using a full tank of fuel after only getting 375 miles out of it that wouldn't be any good for me as I get aroung 550 miles fom a full tank of diesel so 375 is a long way off! You quoted P11D figures there but the GTE gets a £5k reduction doesn't it so shouldn't the price be around the £28k mark?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:32 am 

Hi All

Very pleased to see these are finally arriving, looks very smart but I doubt you will get the full benefit without being able to regularly charge and also bear in mind the fuel tank is smaller than standard Golf when comparing. I am lucky to have charge points at work and will investigate installing one at home. Am sure the manual is immense; have you looked into the control or monitoring of the car via the mobile app yet?

I placed my order through a lease company back in early March and have only just received a build date of end of June with delivery in mid-August - so if the date doesn't change that is the best part of 5 months. After speaking with VW directly, they thought that because I had specified DCC (apparently not that common an addition) was the cause of the delay.

My local dealer is in Watford and as someone has posted elsewhere they have three on-site if you want to test drive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next