Volkswagen Golf GTE Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First week with the GTE
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:44 pm 

So its the end of the first week with the GTE. My wife uses the car daily to commute to her office which is 24 miles approx. This is made up of approx. 12 miles of motorway and the rest is roughly 4 miles of town and the rest is country roads. We put 15 pounds of fuel in the car last Saturday morning when we collected it about 13 ltr of fuel. The clock is showing 385 miles and we have used about 5 litres of petrol and I think most of that is down to me playing with the GTE button on Sunday morning. As I have stated before my wife has 16A pod points both at home and work. So so far its big smiles all round, shame we still can't get registered on the Car-net site but I guess we will eventually.

Post subject: Re: First week with the GTE
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:57 am 

Glad to hear your enjoying it, mines fantastic!

Can't get the car.net registered either!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:55 am 

Just tried again this morning and got the car net app to work this morning, all connected!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:18 pm 

I had a few issues getting my car registered with the Car Net app - it turned out that I'd clicked on an incorrect link, it (the link) was on the VW site (and the site was registered to them) but it told me my car couldn't be registered.

I used this link in the end: https://car-net.volkswagen.com/portal/en_GB/web/v-eu-im - this one worked a treat.

Its an interesting app but it does seem very sluggish on updating anything - although to be fair, that's probably down to the incredibly bad mobile signal area I live in.

I'm very impressed with the car, I'm driving with a permanent smile at the moment :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:38 am 

Up to day 5 of my new GTE - happy so far.
A bit Disappointed that a typical round trip of 6 miles uses 11 miles of battery. Does that sound normal?
Anyone got MirrorLink working yet? I'd like to be able to see my phone satnav on the screen -possible?
Which spacesaver could I buy - I'd like to keep it in the garage and just take on long trips to avoid having to use the dreaded tyre inflation kit!
Finally I can't seem to set/reset the trip odometer - suggestions (other than read the handbook!)

Otherwise, I'm just revelling in the silence of electric drive!

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:03 pm 

robballingall wrote:
Up to day 5 of my new GTE - happy so far.
A bit Disappointed that a typical round trip of 6 miles uses 11 miles of battery. Does that sound normal?
Anyone got MirrorLink working yet? I'd like to be able to see my phone satnav on the screen -possible?
Which spacesaver could I buy - I'd like to keep it in the garage and just take on long trips to avoid having to use the dreaded tyre inflation kit!
Finally I can't seem to set/reset the trip odometer - suggestions (other than read the handbook!)

Otherwise, I'm just revelling in the silence of electric drive!

Rob

Rob is there any quick way to select Hybrid auto mode, couple of suggested ways

1. Touch screen - this definately works, but is far from quick as the car always starts in e-mode, but hybrid would be a 'normal' mode to use?
2. De-selecting GTE or E-Mode, some people say it is possible to goto Hybrid auto directly IF you deselect e-mode or GTE mode (whichever is active) so the orange light goes out, the car should go back to the last known mode (which is normally Battery Hold, but if you last had it on Hybrid.... apparently it'll go back there)

could you check?

What do you do normally? drive around in e-mode only?

D.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:29 pm 

Week three and the wife is still loving the GTE, She now has approx. five miles left of battery power after her twenty five mile commute, I guess it makes sense as the car is starting to loosen up plus like all lithium batteries they take a good few full charges to start working at max. One question I do have to any other owners is does your GTE have the sound of a fan running whilst charging on a pod point. Finally got car-net to work but other than the wife using it to precool the car before she leaves work I don't see much use for it at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:38 pm 

good range that ! reports on other forums indicate very low 20s at best !

I can not wait until it arrives now......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:25 am 

shmern wrote:
Rob is there any quick way to select Hybrid auto mode, couple of suggested ways

1. Touch screen - this definitely works, but is far from quick as the car always starts in e-mode, but hybrid would be a 'normal' mode to use?
2. De-selecting GTE or E-Mode, some people say it is possible to goto Hybrid auto directly IF you deselect e-mode or GTE mode (whichever is active) so the orange light goes out, the car should go back to the last known mode (which is normally Battery Hold, but if you last had it on Hybrid.... apparently it'll go back there)

could you check?

What do you do normally? drive around in e-mode only?

D.

shmern - I saw your post the other day and though I'd test it on the way to work this morning...

There seems to be only one way to get into Hybrid Auto mode and that's via the touch screen.
If you engage and then de-select E-Mode or GTE via the buttons, the car always switches to Battery Hold.

Having said that I do a little over 50 miles each way to work and in the last 3 weeks have tried all manner of different combinations to get the best fuel economy on the journey (when I'm not playing with the GTE button that is). There seems to be very little difference between Hybrid Auto and Battery Hold, they both seem to engage both the petrol and electric engines about the same amount.

The only real difference being that in Battery Hold mode, when you lift off the accelerator the needle will move ever so slightly into the charge side and you'll get a little slowing down of the car (nothing like as marked as when you activate the regenerative braking function), whereas with Hybrid Auto it doesn't dip into the charge side at all and the car coasts.

MPG-wise I can get 55-58mpg on the full 100 mile round trip, I use E-Mode for the first couple of miles (lots of hills) and then switch to Battery Hold when I get to the first big downhill section of my route - I'll occasionally dip back into E-Mode for some up hill sections but mostly forget. I switch to E-Mode when I'm within a few miles of home to use up the last of the battery.

The main saving (for me) is at weekends when pretty much all my trips are not more than 10 miles away, then its E-Mode all the way.

As for GTE... that gets me down to 40mpg at best, since a) it recovers as much battery as it can when you lift off and b) you don't want to lift off!!

Hope this is at least a little helpful...
Jon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:02 am 

Jon,

That looks like the GTE is making a lot of sense for you and I assume you are getting charged at home? The 55-58mpg is then part petrol and part electric. I am rarely charging and do higher mileages (30K+ yr) but the big attraction for me is the 5% BIK. This will save me a lot of tax (£5K over 3yrs approx.) so the fuel is not a big issue. I am though still surprised that the car with KERS still only achieves about 42mpg when pure hybrids (Prius and Lexus IS300h) get considerably more.

I am still waiting for a really good detailed UK review to come out. Just about all the reviews to date, spout out all the same spec. details but don't seem to go into enough driving commentary. A long term test would be interesting with a comparison with other competitors. I nearly went for the Lexus as it is fantastic value for money with a terrific specification. The CVT connection with the engine really let it down for me and it had a few other annoying quirks that put me off.