Volkswagen Golf GTE Forum

It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GTE v blue motion golf
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:17 am 

Hi all, I'm in the process of choosing my new company car with BIK percentage and fuel economy being top of my priorities.
I only need a car to get me to and from work as we have a 7 seater family car. My budget allows me the likes of a Volvo xc60 but fuel economy or BIK not great.
My daily journey to work is 27 miles so around 55 miles in total.
The GTE really appeals to me given the 5 percent BIK however I understand when driving like a normal car and not hybrid the fuel economy is around 45 to 50 mpg. If the fully charged battery does 20 miles then I would have to drive on petrol mode for say 15 miles per day. Concerned of the pain of having to charge it every night to minimise running costs.
I ran a few figures for the basic blue motion tdi and for an extra 40 pounds per month on tax BIK this gets me the blue motion which has a mpg of around 80 and doesn't have to be charged. Admittidly it looks nowhere near as visually attractive as the GTE which looks v smart. The Audi 1.6 tdi technik is similar monthly cost to the vw golf blue motion.

I'm concerned about the length of my daily 50 mile journey to work and the fuel economy of the GTE when the battery runs out and it's pure petrol. That's why I have costed the vs golf blue motion or 1.6 tdi Audi a3 sport back against the GTE. Whilst the GTE has a 5 percent BIK the list price is high. The fuel efficient vw golf blue motion or a3 sport back is cheaper albeit the BIK is 16 percent. But they don't need charged!

Given my daily commute of 50 miles any thoughts on what would work best in terms of efficiency would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help and thoughts, my mind is pickled.

Post subject: Re: GTE v blue motion golf
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:58 pm 

If you test drive the GTE and the Blue Motion, I think you will find the BM a very dull drive. See what you think of the dynamics of the GTE as in GTE mode it's quite a fun drive. The GTD may also be a good compromise and the Volvo V40 D4 is a great car and very economical also. Also don't believe all the MPG claims as I would be very surprised if you got anywhere near 80mpg in the real world.

Back to your MPG dilemma; if you can get your employer to fit a few charge points (pretty cheap to do) then you would be able to commute each way with virtually no fuel used. This would be a very considerable saving. Try Grosvenor for competitive lease rates on the GTE but bear in mind the delivery dates are very extended on this model.

Let us know how you get on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:02 pm 

Thank you kirky, test drive is exactly what Im going to do.
Totally agree if work had a charge point installed it would be ideal.
I presume I can charge just from a normal socket with the manual lead? This would be a pain having to unplug it from work then replug in at home and doing this daily would soon become a chore, at least to me anyway. As you can see it's the daily charging, twice for me given daily trip to work that isn't appealing to me.
Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:31 pm 

Phil I have to think about ordering my next company car towards the end of the year and the GTE is so tempting but like yourself the thought of plugging it in at home just doesn't appeal to me as my wife's car is nearest the house with mine behind so I would have to run a cable up past her car to mine and I know I wouldn't bother!

I am a sales rep covering Yorkshire and the North East so maybe the GTE isn't the right car but the BIK and tax savings really appeals to me, also my work colleague who works in London has just got one and he thinks the government grants will change for this car soon as it has such a short electric range.

I know Volvo have been mentioned but to me they are an old mans car and I couldn't drive one of those, I also can't bear diesels even though that's what I have as a company car I would love a petrol car but the CO2 is always too high and I want to pay less income tax so it looks like the GTD will have to be the way to go I just wish there were other alternatives.

Andy