Volkswagen Golf GTE Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Real world MPG Hybrid mode (vs. Auris/Prius etc)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:36 pm 

Hi all,
Are there enough GTE owners out there that can report honest MPG numbers for the GTE when driven mostly in Hybrid mode?

I know the point of a PHEV is to charge it but it would still be interesting to know the MPG numbers in mostly hybrid mode compared to a 1.4TSI (blue ACT etc) Golf or the Auris/Prius.

thanks,
AW

Post subject: Re: Real world MPG Hybrid mode (vs. Auris/Prius etc)
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:54 am 

I have had mine now for some weeks and I have in total been driven 1500km and filled up once. The average consumption for the 4.01 l/100km over a distance of 809km, average 50km/h
I have 45km one direction to the office mainly flat highway, 80km/h speed limit and there are NOW WAY to get more than 30km out of the battery (I pushed 32km with fan off, no AC and and a cracked egg under the pedal). In average driving I'm right now expecting 20-25km from the battery.
But of course, the shorter distances you drive the lower the average fuel consumption will be.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:37 pm 

I have filled up 3 times now and am generally driving in GTE or battery hold as I don't have easily reached charging points at the moment.

Usable range is about 350-370 miles and records about 42 mpg. I am hoping that the engine will free up after some miles and the mpg improve as I was expecting better efficiency from the energy recovered under braking/coasting. I will update on www.fuelly.com but they have not listed the GTE yet so my car is lost amongst 4,000 other Golfs.

I am very interested in how others are getting on. If people charge then the mpg becomes meaningless. I have a long run to La Rochelle in a couple of weeks that will be an interesting test.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:40 am 

GTE is the most uneconomical mode to drive in. I would suggest getting a charge if you can and then sticking it in Hybrid Auto mode through the menu. I've only had an extended test drive so far, but found that appeared to give mid 60s mpg.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:13 pm 

But during the test drive, how many of those 60 miles per gallon were from the electric charge?

I would bet dealers make sure the cars are fully charged and over a 20 miles test drive, will come down to a much lower electric range, but demonstrate a better potential MPG.

What I am intrigued about is the inherent mpg of the car without using "outside" energy storage. If a 1.4 standard Golf delivers a real world average of 41/42 mpg, then I would expect the GTE with electric charge recovered during braking/coasting, should push that up to around 50 mpg? Time will tell.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:36 pm 

murpsep wrote:
I have had mine now for some weeks and I have in total been driven 1500km and filled up once. The average consumption for the 4.01 l/100km over a distance of 809km, average 50km/h
I have 45km one direction to the office mainly flat highway, 80km/h speed limit and there are NOW WAY to get more than 30km out of the battery (I pushed 32km with fan off, no AC and and a cracked egg under the pedal). In average driving I'm right now expecting 20-25km from the battery.
But of course, the shorter distances you drive the lower the average fuel consumption will be.

After total 3828km (2378miles) I'm now at an average of 4.67l/100km (50.36Mpg)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:43 am 

When I'm being fuel conscious and bearing in mind the car has only done 1900 miles so far, I can get 58mpg on a 106 mile round trip to work - I still hopeful that this might go up a little, to maybe 60 as things loosen up.

A couple of cars ago I owned a 10th Anniversary edition Prius, on exactly the same journey I was lucky to get 50mpg, although I did once get 60 when I was really trying.

I'm by no means patient enough to 'hypermile' so these figures tend to reflect my version of normal driving.

The advantage of the GTE over the Prius, aside from slightly better fuel consumption, is that it looks like a proper car - you get cut up a lot less.... people seemed to see the Prius as a soft target point when shoving into a queue.

Also the Prius has that horrible CVT gearbox which sounds like a bag of very upset cats when pushed at all, whereas the GTE has a proper DSG 'box which is like magic by comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:03 pm 

Jon wrote:
When I'm being fuel conscious and bearing in mind the car has only done 1900 miles so far, I can get 58mpg on a 106 mile round trip to work - I still hopeful that this might go up a little, to maybe 60 as things loosen up.

A couple of cars ago I owned a 10th Anniversary edition Prius, on exactly the same journey I was lucky to get 50mpg, although I did once get 60 when I was really trying.

I'm by no means patient enough to 'hypermile' so these figures tend to reflect my version of normal driving.

The advantage of the GTE over the Prius, aside from slightly better fuel consumption, is that it looks like a proper car - you get cut up a lot less.... people seemed to see the Prius as a soft target point when shoving into a queue.

Also the Prius has that horrible CVT gearbox which sounds like a bag of very upset cats when pushed at all, whereas the GTE has a proper DSG 'box which is like magic by comparison.

Yeah i agree, the CVT geared hybrids were just horrible to drive .... to me, the DCT in the golf was so smooth on my test drive, it really impressed me.

Have you used the flappy paddles much at all? even just a mess around :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:16 am 

I have just done a long return trip into France and with typical cruising speeds of 75-80mph the mpg without any charges has been a rather disappointing 40.9mpg.

At those speeds my previous Volvo V60 would have returned at least 47mpg and before that my even older BMW320d (2010) would have been very close to 50mpg. I am going to save on BIK taxation but not on the fuel cost. This car really is best suited to those looking to charge and commute <20 miles each way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:43 pm 

Hi, I recently got a GTE as a company car and have only done 1350 miles so far. I have subsequently found out that the car was never designed to do motorway miles all day long - I get around 40mpg with this style of driving between 70 - 80mph in Hybrid mode. Slightly disappointing economy so I e-mailed Listers and they responded with the following:

'Hybrid mode is the best for motorway, it will use more petrol than electric but electric is not best used on the motorway, it’s still hard to confirm without the miles but see below….

If your trip is 90% motorway and is over 20 miles (or over 10miles with no charging point at the other end) then use Hybrid
If you trip is 90% motorway and is under 20 miles (or under 10miles with no charging point at the other end) then use Electric

If the motorway is not a big part of the journey you will have more miles i.e.…..

If your trip is 40% motorway and is over 30 miles (or over 15miles with no charging point at the other end) then use Hybrid
If your trip is 40% motorway and is under 30 miles (or under 15miles with no charging point at the other end) then use Electric

This is because doing 70mph is worse on the electric charge than at 0-60 mph.'

However, I cannot grumble too much as the car puts a huge smile on my face in GTE mode and on A roads it is fabulous! It is also extremely cheap on car tax this year so the reduction in fuel economy is more than off-set by the vast company car tax savings. Overall, including electric and petrol my average economy is 52.6mpg.

Cheers,

RMR