Volkswagen Golf GTE Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GTE towing capacity up to 1500kg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:13 am 

Found some very exciting news that towing capacity of the Golf GTE is 1500kg!

However the trailer hitch seems to be quite expensive at € 855, but there will be other manufacturers to offer one soon. Perhaps the other Golf model trailer hitches will fit with little or no modifications?

Will have to wait for a test subject of the car in practice to see how it feels and deals with a trailer that heavy and see if the GTE can maintain speed on the motorways.

Post subject: Re: GTE towing capacity up to 1500kg
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:01 am 

I am sure it will be a great tow car, unfortunately the tow bar is not available in the UK :-(

GTE drives a Leaf, has a GTE on order, lives in Derbyshire, works for a company who make Rapid Chargers. All views expressed are strictly my own unless I specifically state otherwise in an individual paragraph.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:50 pm 

This can probably change... While the e-tron is available in Belgium, the GTE is not yet available. The configurator of the GTE allows selecting a tow bar, the configurator of the e-tron doesn't. You can't even order a A3 e-tron with adaptive cruise control in Belgium for the moment. We need to wait until may-june before both options come available (as confirmed by the offciel VW-importer in Belgium).
So perhaps the towbar will be available on the GTE in the UK, but not from start?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:50 am 

I agree - if the tow-bar is available anywhere on the GTE, I don't know why it wouldn't become an option everywhere.
That means the vehicle physically can handle towing/carrying, so VW doesn't need to prevent people from ordering a tow bar.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:49 am 

This is very interesting -- however I found myself misled by the German e-Tron configurator, which indicated that a tow bar was available. When I queried this with Audi UK it turned out it was a mistake.

Hope this is not the case with the GTE, as it makes it a definite candidate for me.