Volkswagen Golf GTE Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GTE Ordered
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:42 am 

gte2 wrote:
Hi All

Very pleased to see these are finally arriving, looks very smart but I doubt you will get the full benefit without being able to regularly charge and also bear in mind the fuel tank is smaller than standard Golf when comparing. I am lucky to have charge points at work and will investigate installing one at home. Am sure the manual is immense; have you looked into the control or monitoring of the car via the mobile app yet?

I placed my order through a lease company back in early March and have only just received a build date of end of June with delivery in mid-August - so if the date doesn't change that is the best part of 5 months. After speaking with VW directly, they thought that because I had specified DCC (apparently not that common an addition) was the cause of the delay.

My local dealer is in Watford and as someone has posted elsewhere they have three on-site if you want to test drive.

I think you are right regarding charging and for that reason I think I will get the Golf GTD for my next company car which I will be ordering soon, I just won't be that inclined to charge it up often as I would have to plug it in at home so the GTD will be perfect as they have just upped the spec giving it sat nav and keyless entry as standard but I do love the GTE but as a sales rep on the road daily I just don't think the car will work for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:59 am 

Finally collected car this morning, only driven from dealer to home 21 miles approx. B road and motorway, left it in E mode got home without needing any petrol at all and that includes 70 mph on Mway for about 10 miles. The car is beautiful, responsive, quiet all I had hoped it would be. Put it on top up charge when I got home it took just over an hour to top back up to full. Also have charge point at work so goodbye BP. Would post a pick if I could figure out how to

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:51 am 

Only issue I am having now is that I can't register on the car-net site as it is down so am unable to use the mobile app, and wouldn't you know it customer services only open Monday to Friday.

Post subject: Re: GTE first commute update
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:30 am 

Right, update of wife's first commute in the GTE. 25 miles each way approx. 12 miles Mway and the rest town and country. First journey this morning was in Hybrid mode and she arrived with 5 miles of battery range left and averaged 148 mpg. The return journey was done in pure electric mode and she arrived home with 6 miles of battery range left and showing an average of 301 mpg. I should add that she has a charging point both at home and work. That has more than exceeded my expectations, we took it for a blast around our country lanes yesterday afternoon and it is such a fun car to drive but such a pleasant place to be as well. :P

Post subject: Re: GTE first commute update
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:23 pm 

Jammer wrote:
Right, update of wife's first commute in the GTE. 25 miles each way approx. 12 miles Mway and the rest town and country. First journey this morning was in Hybrid mode and she arrived with 5 miles of battery range left and averaged 148 mpg. The return journey was done in pure electric mode and she arrived home with 6 miles of battery range left and showing an average of 301 mpg. I should add that she has a charging point both at home and work. That has more than exceeded my expectations, we took it for a blast around our country lanes yesterday afternoon and it is such a fun car to drive but such a pleasant place to be as well. :P

Jammer, You are so fortunate to have the ability to charge at work. You are clearly able to get all the advantages of this car when it gets a good top up. My employer will be fitting charge points in a few weeks and I will have to find a charging solution at home. Glad you are enjoying the car.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:31 pm 

gte2 wrote:
Hi All

Very pleased to see these are finally arriving, looks very smart but I doubt you will get the full benefit without being able to regularly charge and also bear in mind the fuel tank is smaller than standard Golf when comparing. I am lucky to have charge points at work and will investigate installing one at home. Am sure the manual is immense; have you looked into the control or monitoring of the car via the mobile app yet?

I placed my order through a lease company back in early March and have only just received a build date of end of June with delivery in mid-August - so if the date doesn't change that is the best part of 5 months. After speaking with VW directly, they thought that because I had specified DCC (apparently not that common an addition) was the cause of the delay.

My local dealer is in Watford and as someone has posted elsewhere they have three on-site if you want to test drive.

My car has DCC and had no issue with delivery (5th June). One thing you need to know is that the DCC is not as sold to me or as the website descriptions.

There is no ability to select your preference or custom setting (Comfort/Normal/Sport). The handling is fantastic but I have not compered to a similar Golf without, so hard to tell what the advantage is. You may want to review your choice with the dealer as I was convinced my car didn't have it fitted and without the driver selection, may not have gone for it. Ideally why not try and test drive one with and without DCC (Jardine VW Milton Keynes have a car with DCC).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:36 am 

kirky wrote:
gte2 wrote:
Hi All

There is no ability to select your preference or custom setting (Comfort/Normal/Sport). The handling is fantastic but I have not compered to a similar Golf without, so hard to tell what the advantage is. You may want to review your choice with the dealer as I was convinced my car didn't have it fitted and without the driver selection, may not have gone for it. Ideally why not try and test drive one with and without DCC (Jardine VW Milton Keynes have a car with DCC).

Thanks Kirky

So I don't understand how VW can sell the option of DCC if you have no way of selecting the mode?!?! Surely this is the whole point of choosing this so you can choose how you want to run the car.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:58 am 

I have just ordered a GTE ex demo model.
I tried to order a new one and was initially told 18 weeks then was advised that the allocation for this year has been sold.

Therefore any new orders will be for next year. With the uncertainty of if and when the grant will be reduced I though may as well just get a demo one. Found the colour and spec I wanted so now looking forward to getting it in a month or so.

So if anyone is contemplating a GTE I would advise looking at the demo cars which are on the used Volkswagen site as there are plenty at the moment but I think they will soon be gone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:41 am 

gte2 wrote:
kirky wrote:
gte2 wrote:
Hi All

Thanks Kirky

So I don't understand how VW can sell the option of DCC if you have no way of selecting the mode?!?! Surely this is the whole point of choosing this so you can choose how you want to run the car.....

I totally agree and have now taken up with VW. They have at least belatedly informed the dealers with a technical bulletin.

A couple of other points:
1) The trip reset seems to only control the clock. Instead the trip resets after a fill up automatically and can be accessed with all the mpg data, range, miles covered, in the car data section.
2) Starts up in E always. I can't find any way to get it to start in Hybrid Auto which is more suited to me as an old school petrol burner.
3) MPG - Still only getting about 42mpg without electric = 370 mile range.
4) Public Charge Points - Ecotricity are good. Seem to be at most service stations and the charges are free once you register and get the card. Pity we don't have the connectors for the more popular fast charge sockets.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:02 am 

kirky wrote:

I totally agree and have now taken up with VW. They have at least belatedly informed the dealers with a technical bulletin.

Well keep us updated; good to hear the car drives well despite this omission from their literature - I had mainly chosen for the comfort setting so it is disappointing.

My car is apparently being built this week though no update on the website yet; seem to have got into the queue at the right time to get something within the year.