Volkswagen Golf GTE Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 49 km instead of 50 when fully charged
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:25 pm 

I received my GTE at the beginning of August this year.
I use it mainly to commute to work and drive mostly of the time in "e-mode" and manage to travel for 28 km of highway saving between 12-15 km for the returning trip home. ( only in theory since they're gone after 5-6 real km)...but this is not the topic.

Now I have done around 4000km. Until 2000 km,.. after a fully night of charge ( home plug 5A cause I can't get more where I live )... I used to start with a 50km.

Nowadays, with the same conditions, everything shut down, even light and infotainment... when I switch the car on, I only get 49 km. If I put in B, I see it's not recharging, so I think the battery is fully charged.
( minimum battery recharge level is set to 100% )
Is it correct or my battery is already deteriorating? Does this happen to someone or I am the lucky one?
thanks

Post subject: Re: 49 km instead of 50 when fully charged
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:34 am 

btw,.. this morning I got 48km ... I am wondering what's going on...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:47 pm 

Hi. My wife and I took ownership of 2 GTEs back in June 2015. Both have done around 3500 miles now. The range is advertised as 31 miles but I can honestly say neither car when charged has ever registered that. In the early weeks we were getting 29 or 30 regularly. As soon as the weather turned slightly colder however we are now seeing 23-25 miles as fully charged. The cars are going into VW UK tomorrow for testing so I will keep you posted on that.

My biggest annoyance however is how unrealistic this range actually is. Even when I drive them very gently, anticipating obstacles, using the brake recuperation gear setting, keeping the needle below 20% power etc. I still have not managed more than 17 miles on one charge. Standard is about 15miles. My issue with this is that I worked out that 30 miles would cover about 90% of all my car journeys, thereby meaning I could travel almost everywhere on e Mode and charge overnight. 15 miles hardly covers any of my trips, so the car is just not fit for purpose for me.

We will see what VW can say or do about this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:19 pm 

Wait until you start putting the heating / seats and demister on ! That really hammers the electric range.
I had issues with only part charging, sometimes it would just stop part through. I also had an issue with the windows suddenly steaming up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:02 pm 

I had new winter tyre installed on Friday, directly by the Swiss official VW importer. I discussed with the vendor and asked about this "issue". They verified and get back to me today. They reassured me by saying that the battery gets fully charged anyway and the difference between the 50km, 49 or 48 is due to the fact that the software does an evaluation based on the last "driving behavior" ... Since I am around 48km after 5000km it means my driving style is very relaxed. They brought me as example the vehicle they use as "test drive car", which is used by a lot of customers ( or possible future buyers ) so with different behaviour: after 3000 km,.. fully charged,..it shows 42 km.

I do not know if it's true or not... but I am interested in in getting your feedback / experiences

KR
Dennis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:05 pm 

mikerheywood wrote:
The cars are going into VW UK tomorrow for testing so I will keep you posted on that.

We will see what VW can say or do about this.

What did VW UK say after having tested your cars?
KR
Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:32 am 

Yes VW confirmed that the car tries to show range based on previous performance so the 50km (31miles) will drop gradually over time because as we know The 50km/31mile range claim is inflated. I've driven both cars regularly now for 5months in a variety of styles but mostly relaxed (always relaxed in e mode). Best I have had is 18 miles worst I've had is 10.5miles and that was driving it "normally" rather than super carefully.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:48 pm 

Another point to bear in mind is the ambient outside temperature. You should better charge figures when the summer comes round

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:50 am 

We bought our GTE 3 weeks ago. On two occasions we reached 27miles of charge which was disappointing but we accept that this is pretty standard. However since then we have had no more than 12miles and last night as on a number of occasions it charged 7miles. I have sent an email to our dealers wondering if this is a case of mis-selling. Perhaps it should be taken up at a higher level.

Patrick Jones