Volkswagen Golf GTE Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How Volkswagen evaluates batteries to compete with Tesla
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:43 am 

Article requires registration to read second page, but I found this part quite interesting:

Quote:
Everyone is interested in what other automakers are doing to compete with Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) in electric cars. This is the story of how Volkswagen (OTCQX:VLKAY), the world's largest automaker side by side with Toyota (NYSE:TM) and General Motors (NYSE:GM), is proceeding.

Volkswagen invited a few journalists to visit its factories in and near its Wolfsburg, Germany headquarters to show its manufacturing process and related technology decisions. I was one of those who took part in this tour.

Volkswagen today has two pure battery electric vehicles (BEVs) in production, the eGolf and the eUp. The eGolf has been on sale in Europe since March, and eUp a little longer, but only in Europe. eGolf sales commenced in the U.S. last week.

Overall, production of those two vehicles is now running at 100 per day, or close to 30,000 per year. That's one-third less than Tesla, which is expected to make approximately 150 cars per day at this point.

In addition, Volkswagen also makes one plug-in hybrid, the Golf GTE, as well as four other plug-in hybrids under the Audi and Porsche names. The European-only Passat GTE has been announced, but it doesn't enter production until August 2015.

The first thing investors want to know about Volkswagen's battery decision process is why Volkswagen didn't go with the small cylindrical "consumer-grade" or "toothbrush / garden equipment" batteries used by Tesla. After all, nobody in the industry disputes that Tesla currently has the lowest cost per kWh in production.

Volkswagen's battery managers explained how they had evaluated these cylindrical so-called 18650 cells made by Panasonic (OTCPK:PCRFY) and used by Tesla, and rejected them. They are called 18650 because these cylindrical batteries are 18 millimeters in diameter and 650 millimeters tall.

The big question every investor wants to know is, of course, why? Why did not only Volkswagen but also all the other automakers reject this type of battery, whereas Tesla embraced it?

Post subject: Re: How Volkswagen evaluates batteries to compete with Tesla
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:44 am 

Sorry, here is the link: http://seekingalpha.com/article/2662215 ... with-tesla
Second page requires free registration (and actually now that I've read the first page it wants me to register to see it again too)

Post subject: Re: How Volkswagen evaluates batteries to compete with Tesla
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:49 am 

Interesting to read this nearly 3 years on when Tesla have all but conquered the old guard manufacturers.
So was Tesla right about the 18650 battery? I'd say yes, because that has let them develop the battery for the Model 3 which will, by all accounts, wipe the floor with other makers' EV's.
Tesla are now so far ahead of the rest it's difficult to see how VW etc. can catch up any time soon.

It's like fiddling while watching Rome burn.

Note : review this in 3 years!