As the launch of the Golf GTE grows nearer, Volkswagen has been increasing press releases and has been providing complete and thorough details on the plug-in hybrid vehicle.
Golf GTE Specifications
- The Golf GTE can cover up to 50 km in all-electric driving; its total range is around 940 km.
- 1.5 l/100 km and 11.4 kWh/100 km average fuel consumption (NEDC*) equates to CO2 emissions of 35 g/km.
- With the GTE, the Golf becomes the world’s first car to offer all relevant types of drive systems.
- The new Golf GTE combines zero-emission driving and long distance cruising in one car
- A turbocharged direct-injection engine (TSI) develops 110 kW / 150 PS and the electric motor up to 75 kW / 102 PS.
- plug-in hybrid system power is 150 kW / 204 PS; its maximum torque is 350 Nm.
- The GTE is the third GT of the model series after the Golf icons GTI and GTD; it has the same sporty DNA.
- The new Golf GTE has a top speed of 222 km/h and accelerates to 100 km/h in just 7.6 seconds.
- Standard GTE features include LED headlights and the “Composition Media” radio system with a 6.5-inch display.
- 0-60 mph in 7.6 seconds
- top speed of 138 mph in GTE mode. 81 mph in E-Mode
- electric range of 31 miles on the NEDC test cycle, which translates to around 20 miles on the US EPA test
- 188 MPGe
- 8.7 kWh lithium ion battery pack, fuel tank size of 40 liters
- top speed of 135 mph, with a top electric speed of around 81 mph
- recharging time is 2 hours on a Level 2 EVSE
The gasoline engine is a turbocharged 1.4liter direct injected four cylinder. In tandem with the electric motor, it produces 204 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. The torque is actually limited to prevent overworking the dual-clutch system in the transmission.
The battery pack is located under the rear seats, where the gasoline tank is typically located. As a result, the gas tank is mounted farther back requiring the rear cargo floor to be raised slightly (similar to the Volkswagen e-Golf). The gas tank capacity was also lowered from the 50 liters found on the other Golf models down to 40 liters.